Saturday, February 14, 2009

Demi Takes Her Turn


Miley Cyrus is still the super teen queen of pop—but watch out for Demi Lovato! While reports of a rivalry between Miley and Demi may have been greatly exaggerated, 16-year-old Lovato could be following Hannah Montana's cues to becoming the next big thing. She co-starred with the Jonas Brothers in the hugely popular Disney TV flick Camp Rock, went on to become the opening act in their Burning Up tour, found time to record a hit debut album, and she's starring in the new Disney Channel sitcom Sonny With a Chance, which debuted this month. Now, you can catch her on the big screen belting out her hit single "Don't Forget," in the Jonas Brothers: 3D Concert Experience.

Q: Have you ever been starstruck?

A: There have been times where I definitely made a fool of myself and embarrassed myself, but I've kind of calmed down a little bit. Just meeting the Jonas Brothers was overwhelming. But what I've learned is that the more stars that you work with, the more you realize they are just people.

Q: Talk about a breakthrough role -- you played the girl Joe Jonas had a crush on in Camp Rock.

A: I couldn't believe I was romantic with a super heartthrob. I know girls all over America envied me and some probably hated me. But Joe and I kept it strictly on the screen. We've never dated. The Jonas Brothers and I are just really good friends.

Q: Is there a little reflection of your own rise to stardom in Sonny With a Chance, playing a small town girl who comes to Hollywood and gets a part in a hit series?

A: I guess there is a parallel. Sonny is just me but a lot more quirky. It's me but even more dorky. The show is kind of the teen version of 30 Rock, which is one of my favorite series, and Tina Fey is my idol in comedy. We're kind of doing the Disney-fied version.

Q: Do you find it harder to act than sing?

A: Acting is more of a challenge, a mind game where you put yourself in someone else's life. I went through a period of time in school where I was dealing with a lot of rejection, especially getting turned down at auditions, so I decided to quit for a while. But music is my therapy. I love listening to it, playing it and writing it. I can't live without it.

Q: When did you start writing songs as well as performing them?

A: I didn't really seriously try until about the 7th grade when I started home schooling. Ever since then I've written around 200 or 300 songs. I have my mom to thank for that because she kept telling me I should do it.

Q: Who was the inspiration for your album Don't Forget?

A: Of course, the Jonas Brothers because they helped me write some of the songs and sang some with me. I think I was really influenced by Kelly Clarkson when she started going from pop to rock. So you get that in my music but I'm trying to not be too hardcore.

Q: What kind of things do you buy to treat yourself?

A: I got an awesome big screen TV for my dressing room. I figured I would start out with the TV and then build around that, but I never seem to have the time to finish decorating. I really like to shop at Urban Outfitters when I can. If I had time to splurge, I think I would splurge more, but it's always a matter of finding the time to go shopping. If I want something really expensive I have to run it by my parents and then we go out and get it.

Q: What keeps you sensible now that you're becoming a star who could make a lot of demands?

A: It's definitely my parents, and the way that I was raised. My support system also includes my best friends. But my parents are incredible. They're there for me. I can talk to them about anything, no matter what. If I were to say, 'I quit today'-- if I were to walk out of this room and say, 'I don't want to act. I don't want to sing anymore.' My mom would say, 'All right. Let's get you back to school.' They're 100% supportive. I love them to death.

[Source: Parade]

0 comments: